I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I can't think of a title :-)

It turns out I wasn't behind at all in November, so I can skip over it to October. Only first I wanted to put in a few pictures that I overlooked because I thought they were taken in November, but were actually in December.

I said that Colette has a thing for long hair. This is how we discovered that. She found this clip that has fake hair attached to it. So we were playing around with it taking these pictures, but Colette continued to wear it everyday for awhile.








It's so weird, all of a sudden the kids are eating their dinner (even the veggies!) with minimal complaints! I'm not surprised about Colette, she would only follow Adrienne's lead at times. But Adrienne used to be such a drama queen about it. Monday we had breaded chicken with brussels sprouts and she didn't love the brussels sprouts, but she ate them anyway and didn't complain too much about it. Tuesday we had curry chicken with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions. Same thing...didn't love it, but ate it anyway with minimal complaint. She even discovered she likes potatoes! She was regretting the mashed potatoes she'd been missing out on from past holidays. Last week we had pot roast and veggies and she discovered she likes beets too! Today we had spaghetti and there are mushrooms and onions in it, but they hardly seemed to notice. This is so great! Maybe by the time Edward's fully eating with us at the table he'll have a better example to follow and the veggie struggle will be over! Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here!

I think it was the discovery that she liked beets that really got her opening up to trying things. Also, I'd been meaning to get them involved in the cooking because I know that's supposed to help, but it doesn't always happen. I've found that even a tiny amount of involvement can go a long way. Today I let them break the spaghetti in half and put it in the water. Then when I was dishing up the noodles they each asked for one extra noodle. I think that little bit of involvement made them appreciate their noodles more.

Well, I was going to catch up on October, but after spending my time on what I just wrote about and putting in those pictures I've run out of time! Gotta get the kids to bed and other stuff. Oh well!

3 comments:

Michelle Claire said...

Woohoo! for eating veggies! We're still working on that over here... I've decided that bribing them with dessert if they ate their veggies might be slightly counterproductive... so, yeah. We're working on it. :)

Armstrong Family said...

Oh wow, I'm SOOOO jealous! I hope Elise and Brady start to be a little or more, less picky! Fun pics with the hair thingy!

The Miller's said...

You only have to bribe them until they like them. I remember hearing somewhere that it can take up to 15 times eating something to get used to it and like it. So even if they don't like a veggie the first time, after trying it for the 5th time they might realize they don't hate it, and by the 10th time that they actually like it! I think making them very appetizing is key too. Cheese and ranch and butter may not be the healthiest toppings, but if it gets them to eat them, then you can ease off those toppings or substitute for healthier ones as they get used to the veggie.