I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Thursday, March 6, 2008

Oh no...

Feels like trouble. I am so tired and my body wants to sleep. But my mind will not turn off.

The compressor I mentioned in the last post that sounded so awful was getting progressively louder and more awful sounding all night. Finally a little while ago it was so loud I went out to check it out. The air outside smelled like burnt rubber and the shed was full of smoke. I freaked out because the wall behind the compressor was all black right by where the motor would be.

I couldn't get through to Mike on his cell at PSNS. I tried a landline from when I was about to have Edward, but their landlines change often so it didn't go to his code anymore. The man I talked to said he'd try to go find him. In the meantime I was freaking out and so I called my poor dad to come help me (I couldn't find a plug or on/off switch). While my dad was on the way Mike called me back and told me how to turn it off at the breaker outside. Then when my dad got here he found the off switch.

A belt had seized up and it finally fell off. There was rubber dust all over on and around the compressor. The funny thing is that black I saw on the outside wall of the shed was just paint, so it wasn't the emergency I thought it was. Still glad to have it turned off, I'm just sorry I woke my dad up over it!

So, that's all about that....I thought I'd put up the Lemon Jello Cake recipe. I need to put it on my cooking blog too, but I thought I'd put it here since I've mentioned it a few times recently.

Lemon Jello Cake
From Mom’s 8th Grade Home Ec. Class
This is the ORIGINAL recipe... Mom sometimes changed it to reduce the oil and sugar content.

1 package Lemon Velvet cake mix
(or similar... and yellow will work also)
1 small pkg lemon Jello
Zest of 2 lemons
4 eggs
3/4 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup liquid-half milk, half water

Mix all together with electric mixer or beat for 3 minutes. Bake in 13 1/2 X 9 1/2” pan (which has been greased and floured) at 350˚ for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.

Frosting: Make a very thin frosting of 2 cups powdered sugar and juice of 2 lemons. With a fork, gently prick the cake half way down, all over the top. Spread frosting on cake. Most will seep down through the cake and will then leave a very thin glaze on top. Cut into squares to serve.

(P.S. "Mom" in this recipe is my mother-in-law Kathy. P.S.S. My own tip for this recipe is to strain the pulp of the lemon juice before making the frosting)

No comments: