I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Friday, April 4, 2008

Fun Stuff

Now we can do fun things we didn't have space for in the trailer. When I was a kid my mom would buy butcher paper for us to draw on. So I got some, and last night the girls did some fingerpainting. This morning I made playdoh. The recipe is really great so I thought I'd share:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon powdered alum
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoon vanilla
food coloring

Mix all dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until reaching the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide into balls and work in color by kneading. If making multiple colors, put a damp dish towel over the balls you're not kneading so they don't dry out.

I quadrupled the recipe to make as much as you see in this picture. The vanilla does something texture-wise, but also makes it smell "good" (Adrienne liked it, while Colette thought it smelled "awful"). You could probably add other smells like lemon extract, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are sooooo the type of mom I want to be!!! I cannot WAIT to make playdough!!!! :)

Things are going so great! The circumcision went really well...they did it at 1 week old because his doctor was out of town at 2 weeks...what is up with my doctors going on vacation??? :)