I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Wednesday, April 23, 2008

That "awful" day

So when I first wrote about the IUD last week I said how my day had been "awful" all around. I didn't elaborate much on that. Basically my problems were physical and financial. In addition to the pain from the IUD, I was just plain sick on top of it. And we had the signing for the loan for the house which was stressful because all the tests I was getting all day were possibly going to interfere and we really couldn't put off the signing, but I really needed to know what was up because Mike had taken the day off to cart me all over town and watch the kids (I had taken vicodin, so couldn't drive myself). We made it to the signing on time, and we found out the payment will be more than we thought it would be. Apparently they're trying to help us adjust to the expected jump in taxes next year because of the improvements by taking out more money for that now as a cushion, that they'll be repaying to us later (Gee thanks, could have used that money now!). On the way to the loan signing (it was in Gig Harbor) I got a call from the surgeon's nurse and she tells me not to eat or drink, so I'm thinking that I'm going to be having surgery that day. Then a few hours after the signing I get a call from my route supervisor giving me the heads up that starting June 1st the paper is going from a twice a week paper to a once a week paper, so my pay is going to be half as much, and we had just bought a new car just for route! Not to mention a new house! On top of all that we still had undelivered paper routes from the night before that hadn't been done, and everyone else in the family was sick as well.

Obviously the surgery didn't happen that day. When the surgeon heard I'd had the hip pain for months he decided it wasn't an emergency. Didn't make much sense to me because who knows when the puncturing and going out of my uterus stuff happened (the more intense pelvic pain had started only a few days before)! But I trusted his judgment. I did go back out Wednesday night to deliver some more paper route (24 hours later than usual), completely sick and sore. And then when I got home, I talked to a consulting nurse about my situation because I really thought I needed the IUD out sooner rather than later, and after looking at all my tests and the letter from the doctor that said getting it out was an emergency he got all freaked out too and he called the ER here in town and they told me to definitely come in. So I was in the emergency room until 2:30 a.m. that night, but after looking more thoroughly at everything and talking to the surgeon, everyone was in agreement that it could wait (even though I wanted it out right then!).

My kids will have a day where their friend can't come over like they thought and they stub their toe and they tell me that day is their "worst day ever!" I just tell them to count their blessings. Well no kidding, last Wednesday was my "worst day ever!" And I know, I should count my blessings too - that day didn't include death for anyone on the list of "awful" things that happened. Obviously the physical stuff has turned out okay, I'm healing fine. And the financial stuff will be worked out I'm sure. We've had many other crises like these before and it seems like there is always a silver lining and something even better right around the corner and I really hold to that belief that the same thing applies right now. It was just hard to see that when it was all being heaped on me at once.

No comments: