I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Sunday, April 29, 2007

CATCHING UP - BOOKS

So, before I left for Mexico, I asked people for recommendations for books to read. I was excited to have a chance to read guilt-free, without kids and other domestic duties nagging at me. I got a lot of responses, but I knew I'd only be able to read a few books in that time. I picked Karla's recommendation because she was the most enthusiastic, and only gave me one book. With other recommendations there were a few choices given, so I didn't know which to chose. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's recs and I saved them in a document for when I do have time to read more.

Karla recommended Jodi Picoult's "The Pact". So, my review, for whatever it's worth is - it definitely is gripping, keeps you wanting to read more and to know what happened. I would say it's worth reading, but it's not a favorite, because it was just too depressing.

I also had taken a few of my parents recommendations, and a few old favorites that I want to re-read eventually and that could be easy reading if I didn't feel like getting into something new (like "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card). After I finished "The Pact" I started "Princess Bride" - the book that the movie was based on. "Princess Bride" is one of my favorite movies of all time. For anyone that likes the movie I would recommend reading the book. There were a few areas in the book that were less interesting because it was so exactly like the movie that it was like watching it, only slowly because I was reading it. But overall, it was worthwhile because of the parts that weren't included in the movie or parts that differed from the movie. The passions and bonds between characters are more intense, and you are in on the character's thoughts. There's a lot more background on a lot of the characters. It's pretty easy reading - I started it in Mexico, but finished it in the 2 weeks afterward, just reading a little bit at a time. If you've seen the movie, you know what's going to happen, so you can put it down easier.

No comments: