I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Friday, January 4, 2008

Passing on the word...

DEAR AMBER MILLER,

This one-time email is to ask for your help right away. Because of weather and the holidays, the inventory of O Negative blood has reached Emergency levels. We need to have 400 units of O Negative blood available, but right now we have less than 150 units. We are asking all of our O Negative donors who are eligible to donate before the next Wednesday, January 9th.

Since we expect it to be busy in our donation centers because of this request (and a similar request we sent to our O Positive donors), we STRONGLY encourage you to make an appointment. You can call 1-800-398-7888, or click here to schedule your appointment. But don’t worry if you can’t make an appointment – please drop by at your convenience. Even if it is busy, we will get you donating as quickly as possible. Be sure to click here to check the hours of your local center so you drop by when they are open.

If you click on this link, you can look at a list of blood drives near your home zip code. If you are interested in drives closer to your work, just enter the zip or city name in the search box in the upper-right corner and search again. We have lots of opportunities to donate and we think you will find something convenient.

Last but not least, please pass this message along to friends and family in Western Washington. And invite a friend to join you when you come in to donate.

Thanks for your help – and we hope to see you this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amber, are you O negative? That's the rare one, right?

The Miller's said...

Yes, but it's not the rarest or anything, it's 7%. The reason it's so sought after (maybe you already know this) is because it's the only blood type to be able to give to any other blood type (but then the downside is that I can only receive from 0-!) O+ can give to any other positive blood type, so it is also sought after. All three of my kids are O+ so I had to get shots in my butt twice for each pregnancy!

The Miller's said...

I hope I can give because a lot of the time my iron is too low. Last time I went in (it was before Edward, so awhile ago) I was supposed to be getting my first gallon pin, but I couldn't give because my iron was too low. If I got a pin for every time I TRIED to give blood I would probably have two of them by now! If I'm close to the cut off point they might take my blood anyway because there's such a great need. They did that once before, but it ended up not being very fun for me, because unbeknownst to me I was pregnant with Colette!