I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween so far...

Somehow I didn't get the memo that the kids weren't supposed to wear costumes to school. And Adrienne's class was having a Halloween party that parents were encouraged to volunteer to help out with. Not knowing about the no costume thing I thought if I were to get Adrienne all dressed up in her costume and not Colette, that Colette would get upset...so Colette and I planned to come to the party, so Colette could get dressed up too and I would help out with the party. When we walked in the class I saw right away that no kids were dressed up, and here are Adrienne and Colette looking like this (they're aliens):

I know how Adrienne is, so I knew she was going to be upset about being the only one dressed up (she's a lot like me, I would have been upset too). I told her she could stay in her costume or we could go home and change and come back. She wanted to go home and change. We were back at the school in a half an hour - they still had pink and green hair, but didn't stand out anymore. By the way, I had planned to do a better job on their face makeup, but ended up rushed. I don't know if you can tell that that is supposed to be one large eye in the middle of Colette's face...maybe I'll do a better job later today.

So after that little hang up, things were a lot of fun. Colette was very well behaved, so that was good or I would have felt bad about bringing her. They had the kids divided up into four groups and the groups went around to different activities - like bean bag toss and bowling. I helped out at the bingo table - looking over the kids shoulders to help them spot the pictures that they didn't notice they had, or when they'd get a bingo and not notice.

After the activities they had snacks, and then a quick recess. Recess pretty much consisted of the kids running around aimlessly because they didn't have time to pull out the toys. Running around aimlessly never looked so fun! It was so cute. At one point Adrienne went up to her crush (he's adorable by the way) and he stopped running and let her give him a hug. Then later when all the kids were lining up at the wall to go back into the class, he and Adrienne huddled up together, and I'm not sure, but they may have been holding hands. Goodness, this relationship is progressing so quickly! I'm not nervous yet because it is all very innocent and sweet.

After recess Colette and I left, while the rest the class, along with the rest of the school went to a Halloween play in the gym. Later when I picked up Adrienne at the bus stop I told her that I got to see her crush - she informed me that the status has been upgraded from crush to boyfriend. Then she told me that he told her that she's his true love. Oh my.

No comments: