I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Thursday, August 9, 2007

Last night...

Was weird. At about 7:00 p.m. our power went out, and as it did Mike was standing near the window and heard an explosion down on the street. Since it was still light out and there wasn't much to do without electricity, we went outside to wait (I had called the power company - they had someone out pretty quick). While we were waiting outside we heard down on the street below us some cars skidding and a crash. We live off a road that parallels a railroad track that parallels a freeway. It sounded so close I thought it was right at the bottom of the driveway on the road closest to us. We needed to get dinner anyway, so we drove out and found out that the accident was on the freeway, probably directly below our house as the crow flies. So hopefully it wasn't as bad as it could have been if the vehicles were going in opposite directions...there were many emergency vehicles out there by the time we drove by from the other side of the freeway, and the cars looked bad, but from what we could tell the people looked okay. But shortly later when we were at Wendy's drive-thru window we saw a medical helicopter fly right over Wendy's. I don't know if it was related to that crash or not...either way, we were witnessing all kinds of action for our usually fairly quiet area!

Oh...so we hung out at my parents for awhile and I kept calling home to see if the answering machine would pick up, but it never did, so we finally came home and went to bed. The power came on at 4 a.m. It had only affected 11 houses...lucky us! Actually I guess it was lucky that it wasn't during the time that Mike and my dad needed to work on the house...that time is valuable!

No comments: