I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pregnancy Woes

(WARNING: Much belly-aching and woe-is-me to follow. You may not want to read) :-)

I had a leg cramp last night - very painful. If you haven't had one, it feels like your muscle is flexing to the very maximum capacity, and then spasms in the flexed position. It lasted about 2 minutes. Now my right calf feels like it got the workout of it's life and is very sore, and the left feels like it's threatening to have a cramp of it's own - although the symmetry would be nice, I'd rather not go through the pain and so I'm trying to prevent any further of these lovely gifts of pregnancy. My dad gets them regularly, so he has something that he takes that helps, until I get my hands on whatever it is that he uses - in the short term I'm drinking lots of water and eating cantaloupe that has lots of potassium in it.

I never get leg cramps except in the third trimester of pregnancies. Another predictable third trimester annoyance is carpal tunnel, which means I get to sleep with splints on my wrists. A new symptom for this pregnancy, similar to the carpal tunnel (both caused by water retention) is sciatica - which is bearable, except when I deliver newspapers. Of course the pay off for all this discomfort is definitely worth it. I just know that I feel big enough already and I still have 2 more months of growing left which is only going to make these symptoms more aggravated! Blech.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

leg cramps- i used to get them alot- now i take a multi-vitamin every day which i am sure u are already doing- i add quinine supplements and magnesium before bed because magnesium is a muscle relaxer. i also stand about two feet from the wall and lean towards it resting my face on the wall to get the calves a really good stretch. also making sure they are not pointed whil you are sleeping or going to sleep helps. i havent had a single one since i started the quinine, magnesium and stretching.

The Miller's said...

Good tips! That's pretty much what my parents and doctor said too, except the magnesium, so I'll have to try that too.