I open to the inner depths of my being with courage and compassion


Tuesday, August 7, 2007

She's tough

So, I guess this isn't really "cute" or "funny", but just something about Colette that I have noticed and appreciated....as the title says, she's tough!

A few weeks ago she was pointing out two little bumps on her foot, and they looked to me like warts, so I thought I would buy some stuff to treat them. But I sort of forgot about it, and a week later she was complaining about the bumps, and since warts don't usually hurt I took a closer look and they were little slivers! They were right where she walks, so it must have been pretty uncomfortable having them in for so long, but that was the first she'd complained about them. So, I had to dig in (literally) to find them, and it took quite awhile, and I'm sure was very uncomfortable or painful, but finally pulled out the two whithered thorns. She was a trooper through the whole ordeal, and whimpered and squirmed, but didn't cry or scream and seemed to understand that I was trying to help her. Yesterday I took her to get a shot and she sort of groaned while the needle was in, but then was fine after it was over...during the time we were there (I was also there for some OB tests and had to hang around for an hour) we saw a few other little ones about her age leaving the injection room bawling. So I'm proud of her for that. Adrienne was the same way and fell and split her chin when she was about Colette's age and was brave and calm while they closed it up. Adrienne also asked me to take her to get her last shots before Kindergarten done to get it over with, which I thought was quite brave.

While I'm on the subject - we've been blessed to have only very minor sickness or injuries, but the very worst thing I've had to deal with in my mommy career thus far was when Colette had a UTI when she was 1...since she was in diapers they had to put in a catheter to get the urine to test, and it was SO horrible. She was screaming bloody murder and I had to be the one to hold her down.

No comments: